Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Year-long Experiment in Living with Courage

“Do one thing every day that scares you.” For years I’ve wondered how my life might change if I followed that famous advice from Eleanor Roosevelt. What would I learn, and how might my outlook shift, if I did one thing each day that took real courage?

Yesterday I committed to it: Every day of 2011, I will do one thing that scares me.

Fear is a funny thing. When people ask me about the past five years of my life – working in places like Pakistan and Haiti and on the border between Darfur and Eastern Chad – I sometimes lose myself in the story. I forget to censor myself and I say things like:

“That night we went to sleep in our mud-walled compound knowing that sometime before morning the rebel army would cross through the city,” or “I was lucky I was evacuated from the country, because a few weeks later a close friend of mine was shot in the car that we had always driven together.”

When I say these things, some people go pale and don’t know what to say, quickly forgetting that moments before they’d said, “Wow! That’s my dream job!” Other people murmur something about how brave they imagine I am, to have done that work.

But here’s where the “fear is funny” part comes in: Sure, I’ve been in some scary situations. But have I ever, for example, asked a man out?

No. Believe it or not, in nearly 4 decades of life I haven’t managed to take that small step (yeah, I know… I know!). And while I won’t say that that particular fear is higher on my list than, say, death, I do wonder:

How do even small, everyday fears shape my life? And how might my life change if I walked toward them, rather than away?

My theory is that even the most “fearless” amongst us often live limited lives, fenced in by fears large and small. We shrink ourselves to fit lives that are much smaller than those that we could have, by stepping away from the fears that arise every day – rather than turning to meet them and learning what they have to teach us.

Living without fear is not my aim. Instead, I want to practice facing my fears, large or small, with courage. The word “courage” comes from the French “coeur,” meaning “heart.” To live in courage means to live from your heart.

So this is it: 2011 is my year to see what will happen if I step into a fear every day, arms wide open. This is my year to see how my life may change if I live from my heart.

The rules are simple:

1) Do one thing every day that scares me, that requires me to live in courage.
2) Write each week about what I've learned.


I leave you with a piece of inspiration that a friend happened to send me a few days ago, while I was trying to decide whether to take on this challenge:


I Will Not Die an Unlived Life
by Dawna Markova


I will not die an unlived life.
I will not live in fear
of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days,
to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible;
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance,
to live so that which came to me as seed
goes to the next as blossom,
and that which came to me as blossom,
goes on as fruit.

10 comments:

  1. Heck yeah girlfriend. You have inspired me. So now I enter that place of wonder and challenge as well. Do I also take this on? Why? Why not?

    I will let you know. But either way: you are a star. My star. You know...like the one Harriet Tubman used to find her way. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you inspire me, too. I have so been longing to find the courage to live my passion in "real life". Committing to do one scary step a day looks like a great idea.

    One idea that comes to my mind right now is asking for what I *really* want, at least once a day. Not the watered down version filtered through what I believe would be "realistic" (=safe) given all other needs that I can imagine, but my wildest dreams when I am coming from a place of trusting that I matter.

    Usually, when I have expressed the beauty of my aliveness through bold, vulnerable requests, people have loved it. On the other hand, when I only ask for what I believe is realistic, I much more easily mix in a demand energy ("They should be willing to at least say yes to THAT!").

    Horray for allowing myself to be fully alive! Feel free to check in with me any time how it is going, and thanks again for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I know what I want to do!

    Every day, I will block 15 minutes to go into the space where I trust in my own significance and remind myself of my power to create the life I want.

    I will write down 10 requests every day that fill me with joy, no matter if I am ever going to ask them.

    I will make one of those requests every day (this is the scary part).

    And if I feel depressed, down, hopeless or stuck, I want to remind myself (and ask friends to remind me) to write down another 10 requests (The purpose of this would be to get beyond my crisis of imagination rather than waiting for the moment when I would feel connected enough to move to start thinking about requests...).

    Yeah!

    Thanks for the companionship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm - maybe I could start each day's session by asking myself what I would request of a fairy with a magic wand, to make sure I don't even start cognitively restricting my alternatives. And then move from there to 10 requests I could make here and now.

    Girls, that's so scary! But as Anais Nin said:

    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers to you and your year of courage, defeating fear, and experiencing life fully. I will be following your adventure with admiration and encouragement from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jasmine, I've missed you and this will be a wonderful way to follow what you're up to and to see how your journey of courage goes... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. first steps take so much courage, and are sooo unsung. about a thousand steps later, someone notices, and sings about it, but by then, its lost its freshness, and is not courage any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! I recognize what you mean: I didn't really have a problem with the Chadian rebels but I have never asked a man out.... You inspire me to dare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jasmine & all the posters! I have felt very inspired & encouraged, reading all of this. And I have loved that Markova poem for a couple of years now--and the French derivation of courage really touched me (because I love French AND because of the heart connection)! (;-)

    And Ariane, I may borrow some of your ideas, too--I like approaching this with compassion for myself, rather than as an 'all or nothing' authenticity demand! (;-)

    ReplyDelete