Sunday, February 20, 2011

Peeling the Pomegranate


Have you ever really paid attention while coaxing the glowing red seeds of a pomegranate away from its white membrane with your fingers? I was doing that a minute ago. Each little cell was perfect as it came away in my fingers, each with its dark seed in the middle, its deep red flesh.

I was thinking – as I bit down into a mouthful of those pomegranate seeds and felt the walls of each little cell burst between my teeth, filling my mouth with its bright, sweet juice – about how yesterday I sat in a circle at an NVC retreat and looked around at 26 faces.

A week before, I’d been in that same circle and seen 26 people – some wrinkled, some not, some heavier, some thinner. Just an ordinary group of people. But yesterday I looked around that circle at one face after another, and each one was as beautiful and perfect and whole as a pomegranate seed.

As I looked at them, I thought of Persephone and her descent into Hades. During our week together I’d gotten to see each of these people go into dark places and – here’s the part I don’t get to see that often in the rest of my life – not just face those dark places, but share the journey with others. I got to see one person after another drop their masks and be completely real.

I’m still trying to work it out. In that circle yesterday when each of us had made that hero’s journey and emerged into the light (or at least emerged into the light for now), did the faces look so beautiful to me because of what I’d seen each person go through, and because I got to see their real-ness as they did so? Was it because, as one of my friends said, “Jasmine, you’ve fallen in love with these 26 people. That’s why they look so beautiful to you.”

Or was it that they had actually become more physically beautiful as their faces softened and their eyes widened through contact with their own real-ness?

I’m not sure. But what seems clear to me today is that the willingness of these 26 people to be real with others – to be connected with what makes each of us fully alive – really did make me fall in love with each of them.

This week I stepped into my fear by reading the first five pages of “My Ass (In the World)” to an audience. I think it may still become a one-woman show once I embrace my fear of acting, but that’s a project for another week! I specifically chose the person at the retreat that I thought of as the scariest, and asked him to work with me. I chose an old housemate from a list of people with whom I have unfinished emotional business, and sent her an email. I asked the retreat’s leader to work with me as a “demo,” and I sat in front of 26 people and unmasked my long-time struggle to be fully authentic in romantic relationships.

I also got inspired to face a life-long avoidance of anything that reeks of budgeting, and started to track which needs I’m trying to meet through my spending. Taking a real look at how and why I spend money promises to be deeply scary, for someone who as a kid told herself that her family was going to end up in the poorhouse and that the important thing was to reach age 14 so she could support seven people with a job at Taco Bell. (More on that next week).

One of the women at the retreat told me that each day she answers the following question in her journal: “What would I do, if the world was a friendly place?”

My question to myself today is:

What would I do, if being more real would only make me more beautiful, more connected to others, more alive? What would I do today, if I trusted that my being is like a pomegranate seed: perfect and whole just as it is?

7 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm actually going through a bit of a similar process, have started the step two of the NLP/cognitive science/communication course with Antonio and Co. Learning in a group is powerful, and realising things about one self with the help of others who are holding the space for me to do so is incredible! And we really get to know each other. I don't know what everyone does for a living but I know how they work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so moved, reading this. I was actually beginning to blubber at the end. Thank you!!!! Living in love and beauty and aliveness and ACCEPTING, celebrating that....so powerful....

    ReplyDelete
  3. that makes two of us, suzanne! your words really moved me.

    and i still have the idea of prison inmates referring to the telephone as "the pain box" rolling over and over in my mind... oh, the joy and pain of talking to people we love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. asa, i thought i'd "commented on your comment," but now i don't see it -- sorry if this is a duplicate.

    i can so relate to "i don't know what everyone does for a living but i know how they work." isn't it cool to be in an environment where who people are takes precedence over what they "do," for a change?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasmine, i'm once again entranced by your writing. I wanted to ask you for your 5 pages, but i now read they are part of something larger. Maybe i could wait for the final finished product... I love this - can i sign up and be informed of your writings in the future?

    I so love pomegranate analogy, even if i can't spell that word! I love it how being fully who we are, at any given moment, is beautiful - just as it is...like the seeds. There's so much else we could say - like the juice (or energy) of a group is a mixture of all the seeds - and an entity in and of itself (the We is more than just all the people).

    anyway, i'm loving this - thank you!!!
    hugs,
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw... thanks, JJ! i think that if you "follow" this blog you'll see my weekly posts (i post every sunday).

    and i'll let you know when i start publishing stories like the one i read at the retreat..

    and yes, so many ways to carry that pomegranate analogy through with the "I" and the "WE"... we'll have to keep exploring that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the question at the end. It is full of intent to grow and change. I just came back from a retreat in Santa Cruz where one of the offering was The Sacred Question. I was thrilled with the class. I so enjoy people's questions. It is life energy. Catch you later pomegranate seed.

    ReplyDelete